Welcome to “Around The World in 12 Dishes”. We will be taking you on a journey around the world, (loosely) following in Phileas Fogg’s footsteps, exploring 12 different countries with our children, by cooking 12 dishes with them. One for each country visited.
The world is such a wonderfully diverse and colorful place. Our children see maps, flags and books. They see postcards and maybe they see films about the world.. but let’s really bring it to life through food! Taste and smell don’t often get explored, we think this would be wonderfully fun and interesting for you and your children.
Not only is it an exciting and different way to learn about cultures, but cooking with children brings a host of benefits – from numeracy to science. How can you beat that?
Adventures In Mommydom, Afterschool for Smarty Pants, All Done Monkey, Babes in Deutschland, Crafty Moms Share, Maroc Mama, Creative World of Varya, Glittering Muffins, Here Come The Girls, Kid World Citizen, Mermaids’ Makings, The Educators’ Spin On It and The Mommy Talks have come together to help you on your food journey and will each cook a dish with our children and post about it – to help inspire you to have a go! Then go out there, cook, blog, and join in the linky fun! Check out the other great posts as well!
Around the World in 12 Dishes
- March – United Kingdom
Sunday roast dinner
Chocolate chip chocolate scones
- April – Sweden
Julskinka (Christmas ham)Hasselbackspotatis (Hasselback potatoes)
Chokladbollar (Chocolate balls)
D is for Dala Horse – Book review
Quick Dala horse photo holder with glitter
- May – Russia
Russian roasted potatoes
- June – IndiaMurg Makhani (Butter Chicken)
T is for Taj Mahal – Book review
- July – Japan
Gyoza inspired pockets
K is for Kabuki – Book review
Milk carton lanterns
- August – Australia
D is for Down Under – Book review
Dot Art buttons turtle
Dot Art paper plate turtle
- September – French Polynesia
French Polynesia – “Where is that?”
- October – Mexico
- November – Brazil
Brazilian curry chicken
- December – Morocco
- January – Greece
- February – Austria
- March – Ireland
Soda Breads (Regular & Sweet)
Irish Chicken Stew
- April – France
French Bread (Regular & Sweet)
- May – Finland
Perunarieska (Potato Flat Bread) (Regular & Sweet)
- June – Spain
Euskal Oilasko Erregosia (Basque Chicken Stew)
- July – Kenya
- August – Egypt
- September – New Zealand
Kiwi Chocolate Cake
- October – Korea
- November – Thailand
Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken
- December – Jamaica
- January – Peru
- February – Canada
How to join the fun!
- The only mandatory part is the dish, the rest is all up to you, we just thought it would be fun and more concrete to the kids as to why we are making a unusual dish.
- Cook a dish from the country: The goal is to explore this country through FOOD and activities if you wish. Make a typical dish (sweet or savoury) from the country with the kids, take photos and have fun!
- Typical dishes: Here we give some examples of what the respective country is best known for.
- Print your passport: You can download a country specific page, which comes with space for a photo of the child with the dish and also a little cover for it if you wish
- Color a placemat: Once colored/painted or whatever other way you want to do this, you can laminate it or put it between clear contact paper to use it over and over. Great conversation piece for you and your kids. It is always available for download.
- Make a craft: you can make a country related craft with the kids [optional!]
- Read a book: Here we either post a book review or a link to a book that is relevant to the country of the month.
- Online fun: If available, we will post a link to some online fun, such as games and other activities.
- Fun fact: Each country has some fun facts, here you will be able to find one every month!
- Share with us: Each country challenge has its own linky, which will remain open for a year, so attach a link to your blog to enter the linky party or go to the comment section and post a photo together with what you did together with your child(ren).
- Pinterest: We will add your photos to a “Around the World in 12 Dishes” Pinterest Boards (one for the dishes, one for the crafts) you will be a great source of inspiration for everyone
- Are you a blogger? Let your fans know about the challenge and grab our cute lil’ button to share it on your blog.
Make sure to check back every month for a new country and challenge with plenty of amazing dishes and creative crafts, are you ready to explore the world? (4052)