Disclaimer 1: Before I reveal the recipe, I must say I got lots of protest from my mother about this one since the recipe is from her grand mother Marie-Laure. We came to the understanding that I wouldn’t give the meat sauce recipe made from scratch but the rest only. So I hope it turns out as good for you with your own meat sauce.
Disclaimer 2: This lasagna is NOT for vegetarians (sorry!)
(Made December 27) So the in-laws came for Christmas and I asked what they wanted me to make since they don’t get to eat some of my food a lot, due to the fact that they live in Germany. One of the requests was a lasagna, so on the day of our lovely snow storm while Alex and his mom were shoveling the snow during nap time, I decided to make the lasagna. I started with the secret meat sauce recipe (you’ll have to make your own, sorry, all I can say is that it contains ground beef, onions, spices, tomato based liquids and a secret ingredient put together and cooked) and I cooked a dozen hard-boiled eggs. Once that was done, so was nap time and shoveling time…
1) First I cooked the lasagna noodles and I grabbed our deep, oven-safe dish to layer them in. Once the noodles were cooked, I drained and cooled down with cold water to avoid sticking and burning myself since I have to handle them.
2) I put a ladle or two of sauce at the bottom, a layer of noodles (I overlap them a little)
3) I put layer of cold cuts (I used black forest ham)
4) I put a layer of sauce
5) Then a layer of noodles
6) I put a layer of sliced cheese (I used havarti), a layer of sauce, a layer of noodles
7) I put a layer of sliced hard-boiled eggs, a layer of sauce (this one is tricky to spread out, since the eggs move a lot, so I try to put little spoonfuls here and there and try to spread as good as I can, it’s not as well spread as the other layers), a layer of noodles
8) And another layer of cold cuts (I used sliced smoked turkey breast), a layer of sauce, another layer of noodles
9) Then I spread shredded mozzarella cheese over the whole top. I also sprinkled paprika and parsley on top to add some colors.
In the meantime here is what Nico did while I layered and it baked. I baked it at 375-400 F, covered for 10 minutes, we don’t have a lid for our dish, so we use aluminum foil (Tip: poke tooth picks standing into your lasagna to avoid the foil from sticking to the cheese). After the 10 minutes (when the cheese is melted), remove the foil and tooth picks and I broiled for 5-10 minutes until the cheese was golden brown.
Here it is ready to be eaten, yum!
- Meat sauce
- Lasagna noodles
- 2 kinds of cold cuts
- Sliced cheese
- Sliced, hard-boiled eggs
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Paprika powder (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
- Cook/heat up meat sauce
- Cook lasagna noodles, drain and cool with cold water.
- Put a ladle or 2 of sauce at the bottom of a deep, oven-safe dish.
- Then layer as follow: noodles, cold cut, sauce,
- noodles, sliced cheese, sauce,
- noodles, sliced hard-boiled eggs, sauce,
- noodles, cold cuts, sauce
- Spread shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- You can sprinkle paprika and parsley on top to add some colors.
- Bake at 375 F covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and broil for 5-10 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
If you like what you see, follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with what we’re up to!