So this is the second recipe in our Cowtown Series and after our fabulous Cowtown Chili we now have a variation to the classic Rocky Road dessert (which was invented in Australia, by the way), the Cowtown Rocky Mountain Road squares, also made in the slow cooker and also really easy! The inspiration for the slow cooker version came from 365 Days of Slow Cooking, but modified the ingredients and measurements to the point of basically having just “used” the slow cooker idea, lol.
At first you take the chocolate chips, pour them into the slow cooker and melt them for 30 minutes on high. Then you stir them and let them melt for another 15 minutes. In the meantime you mix together 3 cups of marshmallows, 1 1/2 cups of rice krispies and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and gently mix it all into the melted chocolate.
Once that is done (and before the marshmallows have melted completely) you scoop the mixture into a shallow parchment paper lined dish (about 5 cm or 2 inches high) and let it cool off before putting it in the fridge for a while. After that you can just take the parchment paper with the slab out of the dish, cut it into squares and tadaa you have a very yummy chocolate marshmallow rice krispies cinnamon concoction that will leave you licking your fingers (yes, they have a tendency to melt a little in your hands, so you are almost forced to lick your fingers afterwards)! And like with almost anything that involves chocolate, Nico loves these things and I’m pretty sure you will, too
- 2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 3 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1.5 cup of rice krispies
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Put all the chocolate chips in the slow cooker on high for 30 minutes, do not open.
- After 30 min, open and stir. Close again for 15 minutes on high.
- In the mean time, mix the marshmallow, rice krispies and cinnamon in a bowl (you can skip this step but it’s easier the have everything ready, has you must work fast before the chocolate gets hard)
- After 15 min, open and stir to make sure all is melted. Turn off slow cooker or marshmallows will melt.
- Right away add the rest of the ingredients and stir well until all is coated.
- Pour the mix into shallow parchment paper lined baking pan
- Let cool 15-20 min than put in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Pull the whole thing with the paper out of the dish and cut into squares (It separates from the paper well).
This post is part of the Cowtown Kitchen Series, so far we also have the Cowtown Slow Cooker Chili and more on the way.
If you do this, we’d LOVE to see a photo of it. Email it to us or post it on our Facebook page. Don’t forget to also follow us on Pinterest and our “Around the World in 12 Dishes” series also has its own Pinterest boards for each country. We’d love to do a Facebook album, a Pinterest board and a page of your creations