You can easily install a thru-wall skimmer on your Intex pool to help clean the water and make your facility ready for swimming. It can, however, be a challenge if you have never attached one before.
Luckily, we have outlined all the steps you would need to follow in this piece. You only need to follow them, and your Intex pool will have a working thru-wall skimmer.
What is a Thru-Wall Skimmer? How Does it Work?
Let us understand what a thru-wall skimmer is before we look at how to install it. It is a pool cleaner that sucks in water with leaves, dirt, and other material to clean it.
The unit acts as the first water cleaning station by removing bugs, twigs, leaves, hair, and other materials before they reach other cleaning systems. Water passes via the thru-wall skimmer, where large leaves and debris are trapped in its basket and prevented from entering the pool’s filter system.
One thing to note is the thru-wall model comes with a weir door that collects more water compared to other types of skimmers. That means more floating trash gets into the system to remove more material.
The weird door helps top keep the collected dirt inside the basket even when the pump is off, preventing it from getting back to the pool. That opening also controls how the water gets into the pump and prevents air from accessing the pump and filtration system.
What that means is the thru-wall skimmer lets your pool to function efficiently and optimally. You can even attach a vacuum hose to the skimmer when cleaning your swimming pool.
Installation Step-by-Step Guide
Here are the things you require to install the skimmer:
- A thru-wall skimmer
- Intex swimming pool
- A blunt object for creating holes
- Screws for attaching the parts
- Screws driver or other tightening tools
- Water for filling the pool
There are steps you should follow when installing a thru-wall skimmer on the Intex pool.
1. Prepare Your Intex Pool
Fill your pool with water to at least 2-foot to ensure that the liner gets stretched. The purpose is to ensure that the liner is in the right place when attaching the thru-wall skimmer.
One thing to note is the liner stays in the same position once you install the skimmer. So, it is vital to have the confidence that the liner is well placed.
2. Assemble the Thru-Wall Skimmer
Some models come assembled, while others require you to attach them when you receive the package. Every brand is different and often provides its assembling instructions.
Follow them to the letter to ensure that you have an adequately attached cleaner.
3. Install the Thru-Wall Skimmer
The last one is the actual installation of the skimmer to your Intex swimming pool. Here you need to follow several steps to achieve the desired outcome.
- Attach the Faceplate
The first thing is to place the faceplate on the skimmer cutout:
- Stand outside your Intex pool
- Reach the top part of the rail
- Press the liner and the faceplate against the gasket and the skimmer cutout on the wall
- Use a blunt object to create three corner holes at the top
- Attach the Screws
The next thing is to tighten the screws:
- Place two screws at the above holes – consider using self-threading flat head ones
- Push the screws through the holes
- Alight the thru-wall skimmer with these screws from outside the pool
- Tighten the two screws
- Create Liner Holes
Now you can create the liner’s holes:
- Take your blunt object and create holes in your pool liner
- Place and screw the other flat head screw through the faceplate, liner, gasket, and skimmer holes.
- Tighten the screw
Note: You should use the faceplate when creating the liner’s hole. It will let you know where to create them.
Now you can add water to your pool and start swimming.
The Bottom Line
What we have covered above are simple steps to let you install your thru-wall skimmer on your Intex pool. You should take note of the model you buy to know if you will need to assemble it before you install it.
You May Also Like:
- How to Increase Suction in Pool Skimmer
- How to Hook Up Pool Vacuum to Intex Pump
- How to Add Stabilizer to Pool Without Skimmer
- How to Install Butterfly Gasket on Pool Skimmer
- How to Keep Pool Cover from Sagging
- How to Level an Above Ground Pool with Water in It
- How to Level Ground for Easy Set Pool
- How to Set Up Above Ground Pool on Unlevel Ground
- How to Vacuum Above Ground Pool with Cartridge Filter
- SkimDoctor vs Skim-A-Round: Everything You Need to Know